DARKEST PLACES OF UNIVERSUM.
And I add: Transport of horses (cattles, pigs and all the other animals) to Slaughterhouses – a Tour to the Darkest Places of Universum – watch Video! And, by the way, Gail becomes a friend!
- Horse meat abbatoir revealed: We track down Romanian slaughterhouse suspected of supplying meat (mirror.co.uk)
- Goat Escapes Slaughterhouse, Goes for a Walk Around Brooklyn (news.softpedia.com)
- Prosecute Slaughterhouse Employees Who Abused Horses (forcechange.com)
- Horse meat could damage Romania’s image (upi.com)
- SHAME! SHAME! Video Shows: Horses Stunned Before Each Others´ Eyes in UK Slaugherhouse! (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- Despite Animal Aid´s investigations showing widespread … (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- MARCHE pour la FERMETURE PARIS ISTANBUL TORONTO TOULOUSE 15 Juin 2013 (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- Despite Animal Aid´s investigations showing widespread … (schweingehabt.wordpress.com)
- Romania defends slaughterhouses in horse meat scandal (telegraph.co.uk)
|CHAI/HAKOL CHAI ACHIEVES MAJOR STEP TOWARD NATIONWIDE CART HORSE BAN|
|CHAI/Hakol Chai achieved a major step toward its long-worked for goal of banning horse- and donkey-pulled carts from city streets and highways throughout the country, when Israel‘s Transportation Ministry agreed to accept Hakol Chai’s suggested new regulation to ban these vehicles. The Justice Department must now check the text of the new regulation before it heads to the Knesset Finance Committee for final approval, which is expected at the end of January, after the national elections. Israel will then become the first country to ban all vehicles pulled by animals on city streets and highways. Horses and donkeys are used in Israel to haul furniture, appliances, old clothing, scrap metal, rocks from construction sites, and heavy produce like watermelons. They are often starved, beaten, denied veterinary and farrier care, forced to stand in the hot sun all day without water, and to wear ill-fitting harnesses that gouge into their flesh. At the end of the summer or when they are too ill or weak to work, they are abandoned. Some collapse in the street, still in their harnesses. At a meeting last month with representatives of the Transportation Ministry, Hakol Chai presented a collage of photos of abused cart horses sent to it by concerned citizens from around the country, entitled “Israel in the 21st Century” and requested that the regulations be changed to ban the phenomenon nationwide. The Ministry agreed to Hakol Chai’s request, and Hakol Chai representatives then worked with committee members to draft suggested wording for the new legislation.|
|“The Cart Horse Phenomenon, Israel in the 21st Century”|
|International animal protection organizations sent congratulatory letters to Transportation Minister Israel Katz in honor of Horses Without Carriages International Day, December 1, praising his decision to adopt Hakol Chai’s suggested regulations and expressing gratitude for his forward step that demonstrates positive and humane leadership. CHAI is part of an international coalition working to ban horse-drawn vehicles everywhere. Please donate to CHAI so we can continue to be the voice of the animals, ensuring that the newly won ban is enforced throughout the country. Following are just some of the actions on behalf of horses and donkeys made possible by your contributions:|
CHAI’s Arab Education Program Is Creating a Better World
“It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”
Expanding the Circle of Compassion, CHAI’s pilot humane education project for Arab schools in the north of Israel—launched in October following our introductory conference for Arab teachers, principals, and counselors—is reaching over 600 students and already achieving amazing results. This groundbreaking program is the first time humane education has been taught in Arab schools in Israel on a continuing basis, by students’ regular teachers under our supervision and guidance, as part of the curriculum. “The values taught by this program exactly match those that our school aims to instill in children,” commented a principal of one of the participating schools. She emphasized how important it is to teach humane values at an early age. Respect, responsibility, empathy, critical thinking, and empowering children to make compassionate choices to create a better world are the building blocks of our program. Teachers report that students are excited by and engaged in the lessons, which are allowing them to express and explore their feelings about animals for the first time. They are discovering that both humans and animals have emotions and intelligence and that every living being deserves to be treated with respect and compassion. “Before this program,” one boy commented, “I thought of animals as stupid and without feelings and was afraid to have them in my family because I thought they were aggressive and dangerous, but I learned that animals are sometimes more intelligent than humans and I am no longer afraid of them. This program gives me tools for how to treat animals,” he told the teacher. Some students reported that they feel closer to animals than to people.
|Hakol Chai Interviewed on TV Protesting Cruel Kapparot Ritual
From TV interview of Hakol Chai’s representative at Hatikva Market, Tel Aviv, during kapparot
|Just before Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) in September, some religious Jews engage in the practice of kapparot. Live chickens are held by the legs and swung around people’s heads three times before their throats are slit, in the belief that the chicken will take on the sins of the person and spare him or her punishment. The dead chickens are donated to the poor to eat. Investigations have revealed that the chickens are not given proper care and are treated inhumanely.
Kapparot is not a religious requirement. It can be replaced by donating to charity and other good deeds. Furthermore, the Torah says that one must not commit a sin (cause cruelty to animals) in order to perform a mitzvah or good deed (asking for forgiveness). Hakol Chai’s representative, interviewed by the media at a location in Jerusalem where kapparot is practiced, said: “In the act of seeking forgiveness for ourselves, we are harming another living being, and in so doing are violating the prohibition against ‘tsa’ar ba’alei chayyim,’ causing suffering to animals.” CHAI is a member of a coalition working toward replacing kapparot with good deeds and giving to charity.
|Hakol Chai continues to expose the cruelties of the horse racing industry and the abuse of cart horses and donkeys in the media and to publish information to elevate consciousness about animals, including how to provide for and protect animals in the event of emergency or war, such as recently occurred in the south of the country, for example. Hakol Chai’s work was mentioned no less than 69 times in the media (print, online, TV, and radio) over the past year—33 times in connection with our campaign against horse racing , 21 times in connection with our efforts to ban cart horses, and 15 times in connection with our Arab education program and other issues. Your support has made it possible for Hakol Chai to be a strong voice for animals. Hakol Chai also regularly responds to calls for help from the public, whether reporting incidents of cruelty, requesting help with veterinary care for those who cannot afford it, or with finding homes for abandoned animals.
On behalf of the animals, we thank you!
Yours for a more compassionate world,
- Horse meat found in British supermarkets ‘may be donkey’ (iowntheworld.com)
- Horse meat found in UK supermarkets ‘may be donkey from Romania’ (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Some of that horse meat might actually be donkey meat (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Now it’s DONKEY burgers: Fears other animals could have been passed off as beef (mirror.co.uk)
Your Letters Helped Save Zimbabwe Elephants From Chinese Zoos!
Last week we asked you to contact officials of Zimbabwe to stop the export of baby elephants to zoos in China. Give yourselves a pat on the back, because your letters worked! On January 21, the Washington Post reported that five baby elephants who were to be shipped to Chinese zoos have been returned to the wild. According to the report, “state parks and wildlife officials agreed on their release … and the capture of wild animals for zoos or similar habitats, irrespective of location, is expected to be stopped.”
This marks the second time your letters helped stop the transfer of Zimbabwe’s wildlife. In 2010, you convinced Zimbabwe to halt the sale of elephants, giraffes, zebras, and other wildlife to a zoo in North Korea.
While IDA is glad these five elephants will be spared from a life of misery in Chinese zoos, there are reports that at least two other baby elephants are still being held for export, and dozens more could be snatched from the wild to fulfill international “orders” for wild elephants. So it’s unknown whether Zimbabwe, and other countries in Africa, are sincere about ending the capture and export of wild animals for zoos. Stay tuned for updates.
In other news, the city of Topeka has agreed to pay a $45,000 civil penalty to settle a USDA complaint filed against the Topeka Zoo. The complaint included 51 charges including the deaths of numerous animals and failure to provide adequate veterinary care for Tembo and Sunda, the zoo’s two elephants.
To put baby-elephants from their mothers, from their families is such a cruel act! Elephants are very social animals – like us! I cannot understand how they can do this to take babies from their fountain: the family!
They destroy cords of hearts, love and they sew hate & sorror there!
- Recent trade of elephants from Zimbabwe to China (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- ZCTF in bid to block UNWTO over elephant trade (jessie04.wordpress.com)
- Zimbabwe: KEEP WILD ELEPHANTS OUT OF CHINESE ZOOS (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- Zoo-bound elephant calves back in Zimbabwe’s wild (omaha.com)
- Zoo-bound elephant calves back in Zimbabwe’s wild (foxnews.com)
- Zoo-bound elephant calves back in Zimbabwe’s wild (dailystar.com.lb)
- China-bound elephant calves returned to Zimbabwe’s wildlife areas (ctvnews.ca)
- Baby elephants released (thezimbabwean.co.uk)
- Zoo-Bound Elephant Calves Back in Zimbabwe’s Wild (abcnews.go.com)
- ZCTF in bid to block UNWTO over elephant trade (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
I posted Jan. 18 : Don´t close Your eyes … about Cats as Food in China … aha!
RT News, January, 17, 2013
Cats being cared for after truck crash
Up to 600 plump white cats escaped death when the truck carrying them to be slaughtered crashed and they were rescued by animal rights activists in central China.
Volunteers hauled the cats from the overturned lorry in the central city of Changsha. Around one hundred felines, however, died in the accident while others escaped, says Xu Chenxin of the Changsha Small Animal Protection Association.
The cats, most of them plump and white, were heading to restaurants in the southern Guandong province, the China Daily reported.
“It was easy to tell they were meant to be eaten, from looking at the crates you could tell their owners didn’t care if they were alive or dead. When I arrived, the truck was piled high with more than 50 crates. The cats had travelled for days, without water or food, and the smell was dreadful” Xu told AFP on Monday.
The volunteer group which recued the felines negotiated with one of the trucks drivers to buy the animals for 10,000 yuan ($1,600) and they were now awaiting adoption.
“We’ve already had inquiries from families across Changsha,” said Xu.
Activists often come to the rescue of animals in China. In one of the biggest occasions they bought around 500 dogs intended for the dining table from a convoy of trucks on a highway in Beijing in 2011.
China does not have laws to protect non-endangered animals such as cats and dogs. Although cats are not commonly served up as dinner in Chinese restaurants, some establishments, especially in the south, will put cat on the menu.
- Hundreds of Cats Being Shipped to Restaurants in China Saved from Slaughter Thanks to Traffic Accident (gawker.com)
- Traffic accident in China rescues over 1,000 cats from restaurant slaughterhouses (sott.net)
- Truck crash sees 600 cats escape cooking pot in central China (straitstimes.com)
- China crash sees cats escape cooking pot (capitalfm.co.ke)
- 1.14 Changsha Cat Rescue (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- 600 Cats Saved From Becoming Chinese Food After Truck Crash (businessinsider.com)
- 600 cats stuffed in wooden crates saved from cooking pot after truck crash in China (rawstory.com)
- Crash frees cats from cooking pot (abc.net.au)
- 600 cats escape cooking pot after China truck crash (thenewstribe.com)
- China crash sees cats escape cooking pot (seeddaily.com)
Keep Wild Elephants Out Of Chinese Zoos
Zimbabwe officials could soon decide whether to ship up to six more baby elephants to zoos in China. One of four sent to Chinese zoos in November has already died due to the stress of capture, transport, and the brutal conditions at a zoo. Reports say additional elephants are being held for export. All were taken from the wild and face a grim future if sent to China. Please send an email today to the Zimbabwe Minister of Environment and the Director of National Parks. Ask them to halt any future export of elephants and instead work with conservation organizations to rehabilitate the calves back into the wild.
Send your email to: Mr. Francis Nhema, Minister of Environment, Ministry of Environment & Natural Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org; and Mr. Edson Chidziya, Acting Director of National Parks, Zimbabwe Parks & Wildlife Management Authority: email@example.com.
- Elephants, pencil, water colour pencil and ink (africanartbirdsetc.wordpress.com)
- Recent trade of elephants from Zimbabwe to China (careforchineseanimals.net)
- Please Help This Baby Elephant – Sign the petition (donkeywhispererfarm2010.wordpress.com)
- Is Ten’s viral Kekovich video part of a commercial deal with MLA? (mumbrella.com.au)
- Sam Kekovich gets Lambnesia in this year’s MLA Australia Day campaign (mumbrella.com.au)
- Was Kekovich really treated with a frozen chop? (mumbrella.com.au)
- McDonald’s Indulges Australia’s Ignorance (gawker.com)
Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:00 CST
A security guard watches over empty cattle pens at Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Co. in Chino.
The owners of a Southern California slaughterhouse whose workers were caught on videotape abusing cattle, leading to one of the nation’s biggest beef recalls, have agreed to pay more than $300,000 to settle a lawsuit.
The Los Angeles Times reports Donald Hallmark Sr. and Donald Hallmark Jr. also agreed to a nominal $497-million judgment against the now-defunct Hallmark Meat Packing Co., which will not be collected because the company is bankrupt.
The government recalled 143 million pounds of beef in 2008 after the Humane Society released video from the Chino plant showing cows too sick or injured to stand being dragged with chains and rammed with a forklift.
Source: The Associated Press
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (heraldonline.com)
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (kansascity.com)
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (miamiherald.com)
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (wfaa.com)
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (ktvb.com)
- Chino slaughterhouse to pay $300k settlement (kfwbam.com)
- Slaughterhouse that mistreated cattle must pay $300,000 fine (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Calif Slaughterhouse to Pay $300,000 in Settlement (abcnews.go.com)
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (cnsnews.com)
- Calif slaughterhouse to pay $300,000 in settlement (seattletimes.com)