Mourning Dairy Cows Prompt Calls to Police
After investigating the situation, Sgt. Patty Fisher informed neighbors that the sounds were of mother dairy cows lamenting the loss of their calves, who were taken from them shortly after birth. “It happens every year at the same time,” Fisher said.
Many people are unaware that cows must give birth in order to produce milk. So that farmers can collect the milk themselves and sell it for human consumption, newborn calves are ripped from their mothers’ sides about 24 hours after birth.
Dairy cows are continually impregnated for about four years until they are “spent.” At that point they are sent to slaughter.
While female calves born on dairy farms usually become dairy cows, male calves are sold for veal.
To make a sad tale even sadder, several Mercy For Animals undercover investigations inside dairies have uncovered horrific animal abuse, including farm workers viciously beating and shocking cows and sadistically twisting their tails.
We can all easily reject this blatant animal cruelty by ditching dairy for good. For humane vegan alternatives to cheese, milk, ice cream and yogurt, visit the “Switch & Ditch” page of ChooseVeg.com.
- Cries of Mourning Dairy Cows Prompt Calls to Police (onegreenplanet.org)
- Residents Told Not To Be Alarmed by Mourning Cows (ecorazzi.com)
- Milk of Human Kindness Denied to Dairy Cows (forbes.com)
- ‘Mega dairy’ plan given go-ahead (bbc.co.uk)
- Farmer sentenced for breaking cows’ tails (radionz.co.nz)
- Why Skim Milk Is A Carton Of Lies (nyulocal.com)
- Dozens flock to Old Town dairy farm on Open Farm Sunday (bangordailynews.com)
- Learning from Charlotte’s Web (onepigatatime.wordpress.com)
- The secret cruelty of factory farming (crueltyfreefridays.wordpress.com)